The Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance is monitoring the regional response to COVID-19 as it develops. We will update this page as often as needed with additional resources and links. If you have a resource to share or a question for our team, contact us at [email protected].
Business and Utility-Specific National Trackers
As we continue to track and observe the response of government agencies, utility commissions, and utilities, we are paying particular attention to energy burdened populations, existing and pending energy efficiency programs, and the energy efficiency workforce.
Utility Moratoria on Disconnections and Late Payments in the Southeast
In response to shelter in place legislative orders all major investor owned utilities (IOUs) in the Southeast have suspensions in order.
Map of Disconnection Moratoria (NARUC)
Utility Small Business Resources
On March 27, 2020 the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act) was passed by Congress, providing financial aid to families and businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act
- NRECA letter to Congress requesting provisions for electric cooperatives
- NRECA Financial Impact of COVID-19 on Electric Cooperatives Fact Sheet
- Tracking the impact of coronavirus on the US power sector (Utility Dive)
Consumer Advocacy Resources
SEEA does not lobby but is keeping track of consumer advocacy efforts in the region.
- Letter to Georgia Governor, Brian Kemp, requesting consumer protection from utility cutoffs (Georgia Watch)
- Letter to U.S. Governors requesting consumer protection from utility cutoffs (NCLC)
- Letter to Congress requesting consumer protection from utility cutoffs (multiple national advocates)
- The Need for Utility Reporting of Key Credit and Collections Data Now and After the Covid-19 Crisis (NCLC)
- Letter to Congress requesting LIHEAP in COVID-19 response bill (NCLC)
Resources for utility crisis management and supporting vulnerable customers:
- Electric Service Discount and Arrearage Management Program Design Template (NCLC)
- Crisis Management Action and Contingency Planning for Vulnerable Utility Customers Report (DEFG)
- Contingency Planning for Vulnerable Utility Customers Webinar (DEFG)
- Top 3 Challenges Regulators vs. Utilities to Manage Crisis (DEFG)
- Caught in patchwork of policies and pledges, some utility customers may still be awaiting electricity restoration or racking up fees (Energy and Policy Institute)
- Texas relief for low-income households (TEPRI)
- Electricity billing & rates amid the pandemic: 10 issues to watch and work on (Medium)
Do you have questions or additional information to share? Contact policy manager, Claudette Ayanaba.